SELECTS FC TEAM FUND POLICY
Policy Statement: MWSA realizes that Selects coaches & their teams may want to establish a team fund from their inaugural season onwards.
Purpose of a team fund:
Team funds may be established to cover the costs of tournaments, practice space, team travel, team events, team equipment, team photos/promotional material (i.e. banners or yearbooks), and team wearable items.
A team may raise money for a team fund through one of three main methods:
1) funds collected from team parents
2) fundraising activities
1) Funds collected from team parents should be documented, and the amounts should generally be set out at the start of each season. A budget for the expenditure of funds collected by team parents must be presented to all parents prior to the request for and collection of funds. The budget may include items listed above under “Purpose of a team fund.” A copy of the budget should be made available upon request to the Selects Director.
2) A team may choose to undertake fundraising activities in order to offset the cost to team parents. Fundraising categories may include bottle drives, item sales, raffles or fundraising events.
The Selects Director should be notified of all planned fundraising events by the head coach or team manager. If a fundraising event requires any kind of licensing, Mill Woods Soccer may help or guide the team in obtaining the license, and where approved by the Executive Committee, the team may obtain the license under the Mill Woods Soccer Association.
3) A team may pursue or be offered money to sponsor certain events or general team expenses during the season. EMSA rules state that all sponsorship requests must be approved at the zone level, with final approval given by the Edmonton Minor Soccer Association (EMSA Rule 107).
The process to approve sponsorships is as follows:
⦁ coaches must notify the Selects Director of a potential sponsor and the terms of sponsorship.
⦁ the Selects Director will obtain approval from the zone (Mill Woods Soccer), who upon approval, will forward the request to EMSA through the MWSA President (or designate).
Management of the team fund:
The team fund should be managed by the team manager or a team treasurer throughout the season. A separate bank account must be kept for team fund monies collected or raised.
After a team’s inaugural season (when a team is first formed, or a team obtains a new head coach and/or team staff) is completed, every effort should be made by the team staff to obtain an account in the name of the team, as opposed to one held by the manager or treasurer. The account in the team’s name should have dual signatures and should include at least the team manager and team treasurer.
After a team’s inaugural season, the team fund must be managed by a team manager or treasurer that is not related to the head coach.
Parents’ requests to opt out of items:
Coaches or managers may occasionally be asked by parents to opt out of paying for a team expense, such as a tournament that their player is unable to attend. Such requests will not be accommodated, as a matter of policy. This is intended to protect the team staff and the unnecessary complication of administration brought on by such requests.
Return or carry-over of team funds:
At the end of each season, an income & expense statement should be provided to all team parents documenting the total revenues collected and expenses. A copy of the income & expense statement should be made available upon request to the Selects Director.
1) Funds collected from team parents must be returned to the parents at the end of each season. The amount collected and expenditure of the funds should be documented in the income & expense statement, which should include the amount being returned to the team’s parents.
2) Funds raised through fundraising activities may be carried over from season to season, until the team is collapsed or is in its final season at U18.
3) Funds obtained through sponsorship may be carried over from season to season, until the team is collapsed or is in its final season at U18.
The determination of when a team collapses shall be made by the Selects Director.
In the event that a team is collapsed, all unspent monies collected through fundraising or sponsorship shall revert to Mill Woods Soccer, to be allocated to the MWSA hardship fund.
In the event that a team completes its final U18 season without having spent all of its accumulated monies collected through fundraising or sponsorship, those monies shall revert to Mill Woods Soccer, to be allocated to the MWSA hardship fund.
Exception: Mill Woods Soccer encourages and seeks to support teams that wish to transfer from the MWSA youth program into the EDSA adult program as Selects FC teams. In the event that a Selects U18 team is transferring into the adult program, then the head coach or manager may apply for permission to carry over unspent monies raised through fundraising or sponsorship, in order to offset the team’s costs in the EDSA program.
A team in the situation described above may apply for said permission by the head coach or manager making the request of the Selects Director, who will present the request to the MWSA Board for approval.